Not Sure What To Name Your Fashion Brand? Here Are 3 Steps To Creating A Great Brand Name
Every business owner and fashion entrepreneur knows that branding is a very important factor in building a lasting and successful brand. Your branding determines how people will view your business and how they'll feel about it.
Oftentimes, the first point of contact a prospective client has with your brand is your brand name. Your brand name can determine, to a large extent, whether or not people patronise your brand.
When people use your brand name as a verb, that is remarkable. - Meg Whitman.
Steps to Creating A Great Brand Name
There are 3 major steps involved in creating a great brand name;
1. Select what Type of Name you want:
There are 7 different categories of names every brand in the world falls under;
- Eponymous names e.g. Disney, Burberry.
- Descriptive names e.g. Nigerian Airways.
- Acronyms e.g. KFC, GE.
- Suggestive names e.g. Uber, Slack.
- Associative names e.g. Red Bull, Amazon.
- Non-English Names e.g. Samsung, Lego.
- Abstract Names e.g. Rolex, Kodak.
Check out our post on types of brand names.
2. Decide what you want the Name to Say:
While it's tempting to create a name that talks about who created the brand or what you do or where you operate from, it's not always the best idea. The best brand names don't describe - they stand for a big idea, one that translates into emotional appeal.
For example, Nike is about winning, GoPro is about heroism and Apple is about simplicity and usability.
3. Check that the Name isn't Taken already:
With over 300 million different brands worldwide, you might have to create hundreds, or perhaps thousands, of names before you find one that is available. In Nigeria, you can find this out online before registering your business or during the registration process.
In addition to making sure the brand name doesn't already exist, it is also important to check that the name doesn't mean anything negative in other languages or countries.
Brand Name Lessons from Alphabet
Alphabet is the parent company of Google and they are one of the world's most valuable companies. Much has been said and written about the business strategy but a few words have been said about the name;
- The name is an idea - alphabets are the set of letters that form the basis of all languages and communication.
- The name provides a playful link back to the company.
- The name encourages Wall Street investors, it's telling them, "Buy this stock and you're making an alpha bet, one that will outperform others."
- The name is a real dictionary name - one thing that's a rare find these days.
Remember, your brand name should be unique and stand for a big idea, one that creates an emotional appeal for your target audience. Now, go on and create amazing brand names!